Sunday, June 19, 2005

Special Occasions

It's Sunday morning, Father's Day, and Danielle's birthday. Nick and Pete are out on a ride together, Danielle in the shower, and Chloe still sleeping. Right now, it's just the cat and I enjoying the sunshine. Ok, I take all that back except the Nick and Petey part. Danielle just brought Chloe to me.

It feels nice to be up and doing something for myself--blogging that is. Although I really should be getting ready for church. Perhaps the reason I got up so easily is because there is so much to celebrate. I can't believe I have been a mother for ten years. Danielle is an entire decade old already. I remember the moment the doctors laid her naked little vernix covered body on mine. I was awe stricken to think that God had given me this little person to love, care for, and teach. What a job! How I worried that I would not do a good job with her, that she would end up being one of those rotten brats that people glare at in grocery stores as they are having temper tantrums. Well, of course she was, but I didn't know that they all are at some point. It was my job to make sure it didn't stay that way. And it didn't. And I love her and am so proud of how she has turned out. I just hope I can keep up with the good work. Well, I pray a lot.

I remember, too after she was born how my parents did not care. It seemed so horrible to me that they could have this beautiful baby granddaughter and not be bothered to see the newest blessing. My heart was broken again when I realized that they had turned me away. As a new mother I realized I could not and would never turn my child away from me. As my love for her has grown so has this realization, making my family situation seem almost tragic.

On the lighter side, during that time of my life, when I was really just a child myself--being almost twenty and thinking when Danielle is ten I will be nearly thirty. How far away that seemed at the time. How old I thought I would be, but thankfully I'm not--a little more mature, maybe, but not old.

Oh, but life can be bittersweet. For now it is sweet because that is what I choose for it to be. Today we will celebrate Nick and Danielle, the two most important people in my life. Thank you, God.

1 comment:

Betsy Henning said...

Ahhhhh, thank you for sharing.

luv, Bets