Friday, June 12, 2009

An Irresistible Story!

Have you ever read a book and began to mourn its ending because you were almost done reading it? The kind where there are no sequels, so it's as though you have to say goodbye to the new friends you've made...special friends that you became very attached to in a short period of time. When you read that last page you know it's over, and you grieve the loss of interesting, fun, and exciting people.

I just finished reading "In Her Shoes" by Jennifer Weiner, and that's exactly how I felt when I closed the book for good. I picked it up at a garage sale for a quarter thinking it would be nice to read books by authors unfamiliar to me. For only a quarter I figured I couldn't go wrong. Wow! And believe me, I didn't.

"In Her Shoes" was not an intellectual read I suppose, but in it Weiner packed it full of human emotion, real life tragedies, and issues like body image concerns that affect women and people every day.

The book has three main characters. The first two that we meet are sisters, Rose and Maggie, who lost their mother at a very young age. They appear to be completely opposite in every way, but as the story progresses we learn that they have a lot more in common than originally thought.

The third main character is Ella who had been estranged from her grandaughter's lives for many years. She is a gentle soul, who like Rose and Maggie did not live her life without pain and adversity.

The plot emphasizes life's troubles... troubled families, relationships, and the personal challenges everyone has to overcome. Life is not picture perfect. But when it comes right down to it families, troubled though they may be, tend to stick together through all the imperfections.

What I enjoyed the most about this book was the way Weiner was able to bring her characters to life, with their flaws and shortcomings, and she makes us fall in love with them. In "in Her Shoes" Jennifer Weiner creates realistic characters that people can relate to in one way or another - those who are hard to say goodbye to, and the kind of book that's hard to close for good! If you are looking for a fun summer read, be sure to check it out!

1 comment:

Betsy Henning said...

Hey Lisa, this is a great post and I just remembered...you said I could borrow this book.

Waiting patiently,
Bets